Aloha, and Mahalo!

This is just a quick post to let you know we’ve all arrived home safely. We got in to SF last night at 9:30 p.m., hungry and tired. After the baggage claim, a bus ride, and getting the car at the hotel where we left it, we finally stopped and ate at Denny’s in Emeryville at 11:30 or so. We were home in Fair Oaks by 2:30 a.m., relieved to be done with traveling but sad at the temperature of our freezing house.
Ian is back at work today. The boys and I are home and having a mellow day. Lucas slept until 9:30 a.m. for the First Time In His Life. I figured there would not be much benefit to sending them to school today, so we are taking it easy. It’s after 1 now and Lucas is still nekkid.
Hawaii was gorgeous and wonderful, as always. We all had a lovely time together. And now I’m pining to move there, just like I do after every trip to the islands.
Turns out, Lucas has become an accomplished snorkeler! Asher has learned to say "Shhh! Honu (sea turtles)" [are sleeping]." (The part of that sentence that is in brackets is the part he signs.) Ian and I got to go SCUBA diving a few times, and had shallow but very enjoyable, relaxing shore dives with my brother and his girlfriend, despite leaving our PADI dive cards at home (OOPS!). We hiked 5 miles up (and back down) Waihe’e Ridge trail, up to about 2,000 feet above sea level. Lucas hiked the whole way. Asher rode in the baby backpack on daddy’s back). We enjoyed the swimming pool and our oceanfront condo immensely. We watched humpback whales blowing and breaching in the sea and dozens of turtles in the small cove outside our door. They are beautiful when viewed in the water, either from the surface with snorkel gear or from below with SCUBA. Rainbows and beautiful sunsets abounded. We (mainly Ian and Jonathan) cooked many meals at home instead of eating out, although we did a bit of that too. Lahaina is still a cute, touristy town, with plenty of galleries sandwiched in between junky souvenir shops and restaurants. Papa didn’t get to dive because he is still recovering from surgery, but he did get some snorkeling in. Asher, Lucas, and Ian picked up a brief tummy bug that caused sickness and nausea for a day. Fortunately it didn’t last too long. It sounds like Grandma Syd may have it now. I am holding my breath and hoping I don’t end up with it, too. 
We are feeling a little bittersweet about being home again, but are looking forward to seeing friends soon.

4 Responses to “Aloha, and Mahalo!”

  • nonosays
    January 12, 2009 at 4:17 pm

    Glad you’re back and rested. I’d love to come over sometime this week after you’re settled. Call me. I waved to you guys from Point Reyes on Saturday, did you see me?


  • lunagirl35
    January 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm

    I’m glad you had an excellent time!
    Where did you stay? We’re still looking for a place to stay for our 2nd Honeymoon.


  • parnasus
    January 13, 2009 at 11:11 am

    Welcome home sweetie!!



  • dizzyburner
    January 13, 2009 at 12:32 pm

    I thought that was you, but I couldn’t tell for sure.


Leave a Reply

  • About Sara

    Thanks for visiting! I’m Sara, editor and writer, wife to Ian, and mother of two precious boys. I am living each day to the fullest and with as much grace, creativity, and patience as I can muster. This is where I write about living, loving, and engaging fully in family life and the world around me. I let my hair down here. I learn new skills here. I strive to be a better human being here. And I tell the truth.

    Our children attend Waldorf school and we are enriching our home and family life with plenty of Waldorf-inspired festivals, crafts, and stories.

    © 2003–2018 Please do not use my photographs or text without my permission.

    “Love doesn’t just sit there like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new.” —Ursula K. LeGuinn

  • Buy Our Festivals E-Books

  • Archives

  • Tags

  • Categories


  • Meta